I treat people with various psychological disorders at my practice: primarily depression, anxiety and stress-related disorders. My services are based on psychoendocrinology and behavioral therapy, and I apply other helpful elements from various therapy approaches depending on the case and specific disorder, such as depth psychology, schema therapy, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) or systemic therapy. Emotive-evocative techniques like humor (Ellis) also form part of my approach, if I consider them suitable in the respective context.
In addition, I specialize in three areas at my practice. The first area is the treatment of psychological symptoms caused in part by hormonal changes. Depression during menopause or andropause would be classic examples of this.
Another of my specialties is couples therapy and sex therapy. When you have what seem to be insurmountable problems in your relationship, you can have me counsel you to help you find each other again and live happily together again.
I also counsel people who suffer from or seek to prevent hormone-induced cancer and are looking for psychological support (psycho-oncology) during this difficult time, such as people with breast cancer, ovarian cancer, cervical hyperplasia/ precancer, uterine cancer or prostate cancer; also people with weight gain induced by hormonal dysbalances.
You will see from my website that thanks to my international research activities I can offer clients my expertise in psychoneuroendocrinology, a field that is still in its infancy in many countries. I was the first scientist who taught psychoneuroendocinology courses to medical students at Heidelberg University. My international and national colleagues and I have been working for years on entrenching this essentially important field in our healthcare system. You can find out more about my international scientific activities in the Research section of this website. Correspondingly, I am in private practice here in Germany, where I treat German and international self-paying patients without restrictions in my field. The treatment of disorders pertaining to the behavioral therapy context is restituted by private health insurances.
Psychoendocrinology and Psychotherapy
- Depression, Anxiety, Stress-Related Disorders
- For burnout, derailment of the stress hormone axis, including interaction with the sex hormones
- hormonally driven weight gain
- Psychological Coaching for Entrepreneurs
- Depression during menopause (premenopause, perimenopause and postmenopause)
- Depression during andropause/“male menopause”
- Premenstrual syndrome (PMS)/premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD)
- Psychological counseling during pregnancy
- Psychological counseling during hormone treatment for infertility
- Postpartum depression (PPD)
- Late pregnancy during premenopause
- When starting or stopping the birth control pill
- Mood disorders when taking the pill thereafter
- Counseling after miscarriage, abortion and stillbirth
- Counseling for hormone-induced cancer, e.g. in the mammary glands, ovaries and prostate
Couples Therapy and Sexual Medicine
- Attachment disorders
- Sexual disorders, e.g. loss of sexual desire, orgasmic dysfunction
- Couples conflict – here I mostly use Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT) and systemic therapy
- Counseling for problems due to recurrent infections
- Sexuality during and after menopause/andropause
- Couples therapy during physical disorders of one or both partners